DOGS AND CHOCOLATE

Today day started with some the unplanned purchase of an expensive loaf of organic bread - just so we could free a wasp trapped inside the plastic packaging. Things quickly went downhill when, whilst chatting to a friend about yesterday's NR KungFu Pandas event, we discovered my dog (sat beautifully at my feet) had somehow stolen a dark chocolate brownie and proceeded to eat it.


As a self confessed worrier I can be guilty of overreacting at times, but I know from experience that chocolate is one of several foods which can highly toxic or poisonous to dogs. High vet bills and a moment of paranoia that I was about to overreact briefly ran through my head, but I knew given the size of the brownie and the strength of the chocolate used, that the risk was too great to ignore, so I called the vets who advised I get my dog to them ASAP.


On arriving at the surgery 20mins or so later, I was greeted by a poster titled 'Pet Killers' (see images below), which both scared me and reassured me that I'd probably done the right thing by erring on the side of caution. The vet further reassured me that the really important thing was that I'd not waited to see how things progressed before bringing my dog in to see them. Apparently even if your dog has eaten chocolate before and been fine, doesn't mean the next time won't be different - there are many variables that come into play, and we recommend you do your own research (or better still speak to your vet).